Hot Tub Buying Guide
Want to buy a relaxing hot tub to soothe away stress or ease those aches & pains?
Where do you start? What features are important? What questions should you ask? Which hot tub is right for you?
We can help!
Bob Dapper, owner of Royal Spa, is a graduate of Purdue’s School of Engineering and has over 30 years experience designing and manufacturing hot tubs. He’s got answers to your questions.
Bob has a few things for you to consider BEFORE you buy your hot tub.
Bob’s Rules for Buying a Hot Tub
#1 Always buy a spa that has a Non-Computer Control System
- There is nothing on a spa that requires a computer to operate.
- The only one who benefits from spa computers is the repairman.
#2 Always avoid buying a spa with a 2-Speed pump
- They are noisy when you’re trying to relax in the spa and can be heard inside the house.
- They overheat the water during the summer time.
- They are more expensive to operate.
#3 Always buy a spa that circulates the water all of the time
- Stagnant water is usually unhealthy.
- Stagnant water requires more maintenance. (more chemicals & more time)
- Turning a pump off and on reduces the pump life.
#4 Always buy a spa that pushes the water through the filter
- No correctly engineered water filtration system sucks through the filter. (It’s called a pump not a sucker)
- Suction type filters require more cleaning maintenance and expense.
In these short videos Bob answers common questions people have before buying a hot tub or spa.
How Much Does it Cost to Run a Hot Tub?
Pumps and heaters are the primary source of energy consumption on a spa.
How Many Jets Should a Hot Tub Have?
If someone tries to sell you a hot tub based solely on the amount of jets, turn and run the other way!
How Long Should a Hot Tub Last?
Some hot tub manufacturers design hot tubs to last 7 years. Ours are warrantied for 40!
What Type of Insulation is Best for a Hot Tub?
Hot tub insulation can be the “blown in” type or the removable kind.
Why Expensive Computer Controls are a Bad Idea
Complex, costly computer controls are completely unnecessary on a hot tub.
What’s the Best Water Circulation System?
Water should be circulating all the time … 24/7.
How Much Maintenance Time Will This Take?
15 a minutes a day (or more) is too much!
What’s the Best Filter for a Hot Tub?
Fancy? No. Expensive? Nope.
What Size Pump Is Best?
Bigger is not always better.